Electric table lamps can be quite exciting to make in your pottery studio. They can be hand built, thrown, or made using a combination of different methods. They can also be made from all types of clay, from low-fire to high-fire. Surface choices are also opened up, as you do not have to be certain to use food-safe glazes.
Before going much further, think about what you want your lamp to look like. Perhaps sketch several ideas on paper before proceeding. Think about the form itself, what kind of surface you would like it to have, what color(s) you want it to be, and so on.
For a thrown lamp similar to my demonstration piece, you will need
- one to three pounds of clay (depending on the size lamp you want to make)
- a wheel and throwing tools
- a drinking straw
- a fettling knife or similar clay knife
- a small loop or ribbon tool (optional, but it makes things easier)
- a make-a-lamp kit --- the one I used included an eight inch harp for the lampshade(Compare Prices)
- a lampshade (or you can make your own)