The blades (and pieces of blades) of Stanley's Surform ® tool are well known as exceptional tools for shaping greenware. They can also be quite useful when making mishima designs.
- Removes a large amount of material quickly.
- Very useful for creating flat surfaces.
- Leaves ridged tool marks which must be removed with a different tool to achieve a flat surface.
- Does not bend, so is not useful for curved surfaces.
- Is not suitable for small areas or for delicate designs that are not deeply inlaid.
Recommended for large flat surfaces as a preliminary tool. Also useful to remove excess from large faceting on ware.