Techniques Used to Create Interesting Pottery
Surface Decorating Techniques
Pottery is a fascinating blend of three dimensional form and two dimensional surface. One of the facets of this combination is the ability we as potters and ceramists have in working with both at the same time.
Applied Liquid Decoration
Glazes are the most commonly thought of form of liquid decoration that is applied to a pottery form. There are other decorative liquids that are available as well, however. These should not be overlooked.
- What Can Go Under Glazes
- A Potpourri of Slip Decorating Techniques Part 1
- A Potpourri of Slip Decorating Techniques Part 2
Some of the most important techniques and skills a potter needs are those involved in transforming their simple unfired clay pots. Once fired to a high enough temperature, clay can never be clay again. It has entered the realm of ceramics.
- An Overview of the Firing Process
- How Temperature Changes Clay
- Temperature Ranges for Firing Glazes
- Pyrometric Cones
- Firing Schedules and Ramps