The Bottom Line
- Nice colors, even with the more opaque glazes.
- The speckled glazes have an especially nice visual flavor.
- They seem just slightly thin straight out of the jar for brush application.
- Lead-free, cone 06-04 glazes. All glazes are dinnerware safe when fired as recommended.
- Available in ready-to-use form in liquid pints and gallons. Can also be ordered in 5-gallon pails. Pint jars stack easily.
- The four-ounce jars have been discontinued. Some may still be available from suppliers until they are out of stock.
Guide Review - Spectrum 800 Series Low-Fire Glazes
Spectrum's 800 Series glazes are semi-transparent gloss cone 06-04 glazes. They are a best for dipping, pouring, sponging, or spray application. Brush application can be done, but the coats will be thin. Although the directions specify three flowing coats, I found better results with four when using a brush.
The glazes in this series tend to be in the green or yellow range. I have used these glazes successfully with many other glazes, including other brands of glazes, in glaze-over-glaze applications and side-by-side applications.