Get Started with Clay
From Beth Peterson, former About.com Guide
You have decided to explore creating with clay. Welcome to a wonderful media chock full of possibility, both as art and as craft. To begin, however, you do need some basic knowledge about clays and how to work with them.
Building up pottery forms by hand is the oldest form of working with clay. It continues to be the most versatile method of creating forms, allowing free rein to shape.
- Paddle & Anvil and Rib & Hand Techniques
- Slab Pots 101
- How to Make Clay Slabs
- Slumping and Draping Slabs
When most people think of pottery, they think of throwing on the potter's wheel, or the pots made by this technique. Throwing is a skill that takes practice to master, but it is fun even at the beginning stages.
- What Is Throwing on the Potter's Wheel
- How to Buy a Potter's Wheel
- How to Build Throwing Skills
- Before Centering the Clay
- How to Center Clay on the Potter's Wheel